The FDA recognizes only Hydroquinone and Ammoniated Mercury as bleaching ingredients. This means any other ingredient that shows the same results are called lighteners, whiteners or brighteners.
Because of this, many people think that only skin cream with hydroquinone as the main ingredient can bleach/whiten/lighten their skin. This could not be farther from the truth.
In fact, there are other less controversial and safer ingredients than hydroquinone that lighten the skin just as well.
After reading many product reviews and expert reports, I’ve found that the best skin whitening cream is one that has not one but many lightening ingredients.
In fact, at this time, it’s almost impossible to find a whitening cream that has only one active ingredient. Most of the best-rated creams have not one but 3 or more lightening ingredients.
Best Skin Lightening Cream Ingredients
Listed below are the most common ingredients in whitening creams. Don’t be surprised to see more than one of these ingredients in one cream.
Exfoliating Agents That Also Whiten The Skin
The ingredients below are not primarily used for skin whitening but as exfoliating agents. However, many studies and incidental use of creams with these ingredients show that regular use can lighten the skin too.
- AHA – alpha-glycolic acid
Note: If you want to know exactly what these ingredients do, Wikipedia explains it well.
Best whitening cream for face
As mentioned, many of the best whitening creams contain not one but a lot of active ingredients. Here are some of the products that have good customer reviews.
Combination Of Hydroquinone + Natural Ingredients
- Clinicians Complex 6 Percent Skin Bleaching Cream – with hydroquinone, kojic acid and bearberry extract, lemon extract
- Scarguard Scarlight MD – hydroquinone 2%, arbutin, ascorbic acid, kojic acid, azelaic acid.
- Meladerm Pigment Reducing Complex – Highly Recommended. Excellent user reviews. With Lactic acid, kojic acid, bearberry extract, Vitamin C, Vitamin A and more. Read Our Review about this product here.
- Makari – Formulated for African-American women. Contains arbutin, palmitic acid, mulberry root extract, retinyl, citric acid but with methylparaben
- Lumi Essence Organic Advanced Brightening Repair Treatment – Contains kojic acid, arbutin and vitamin c, hyaluronic acid, rose hip oil, Carica papaya, lemon essential oil and more…
How To Maximize The Use Of A Face Lightening Cream
If you use one of the creams above, the chances of it working for your skin is quite high (it may not work for a little percentage of the population when their skin reacts adversely to these ingredients).
Based on experience, you get faster results when you use it together with other beauty products. Here’s what my morning and daily routines are like when I’m using this treatment.
- Wash your face preferably with a soap or cleanser that has a whitening ingredient. There are many of these with lemon, lime, papaya, or kojic acid.
- Apply Tretinoin
- Use Your Whitening Cream, preferably Meladerm cream
- Wait for 15 minutes. This gives the cream a chance to do its work and penetrates the skin before you use other products.
- Apply an Exfoliating cream
- Use a moisturizer if you use one, or if you find that your skin is very dry
Morning Skin Whitening Routine
Most skin brightening cream companies recommend using the cream twice daily. Do so for maximum results. However, if it specifically says to use it only once, then follow it. Don’t use more in the hope that it will work faster. This might just make things worse.
- Wash your face with cold water.
- Apply whitening cream
- Wait 15 minutes
- Apply Sunscreen
Do a test before you apply any of the creams above. All these three ingredients: retinol, whitening products and AHA have allergic properties. So test it and make sure your skin does not have any allergic reactions.
It is normal to experience a little reddening or itching. Also expect lots of peeling after the 3rd day (not the best of times, but you’ll get over it – use an exfoliating wash if you want it go off quicker) However, if this becomes a burning sensation, immediately stop usage and go to your dermatologist if the problem persists.
Always use sun screen as this skin care treatment can get you very sensitive to the sun. I use a 50-80 SPF for my face when I’m on this treatment.
When You See The Desired Effects
Stop the treatment as soon as you see the desired effects, but keep on using a high-SPF sunscreen and remember to keep away from the sun as much as possible. You can regularly use retinol afterward with your usual daily creams as part of a maintenance regime.Get rid of hyperpigmentation, black spots and lighten skin color!
Here's what I recommend. >
Notice: Assume that have an affiliate relationship with products mentioned on this website.